Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fun Fact: Koreans love them some plastic surgery

According to the Economist, one in five South Korean women have had some type of plastic surgery.

According to the internet (which is an EXTREMELY reliable source), the standard of beauty is quite high here, and one small feature (or lack thereof) can be the equivalent of being beaten with an ugly stick.

Having only lived here about two weeks, I can't speak from any type of experiences, but I can tell you that there are plastic surgery fliers plastered on telephone poles and subway walls like they are advertisements for a concert, and EVERY SINGLE popup ad I get here, is for cheap plastic surgery.

I came across a blog while googling "why do Koreans love plastic surgery", and I think the writer (who is far more immersed in the culture than I am) brilliantly summed up what I've observed so far. Check it out here.

P.S. I also hear that the surgical masks you see on the street here aren't for warding off infections, but for covering a freshly-surgeryed nose.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, thanks for the kudos! I also recently saw someone donning a mask to cover their surgery injuries, which I hadn't noticed was a trend before. Those masks seem to be used for so many uses, that I often wonder what their original purpose was!

Rachel said...

I'm just going to have to assume every television doctor is recovering from a nose/mouth job.

Also, I've stalked your entire blog, beginning to end, in my quest to understand Korea a little better.

Unknown said...

Now plastic surgery is normal treatment to get a desirable looks. Korean people well take care to make a beautiful looks. A many Koreans people doing a plastic surgery and that's get a good looks.

plastic surgery

Post a Comment